The Environmental industry comprises of two primary segments: the provision of environmental services and the delivery of environmental resources.
Environmental services refer to:
- the collection, treatment and disposal of solid, liquid and hazardous waste materials
- the clean-up of contaminated sites and facilities
- consulting & engineering services; businesses can seek assistance from the environmental industry in ensuring projects meet pollution and environmental conservation standards
Environmental resources include:
- Delivering clean water to households and businesses
- Recovery and recycling of industrial by-products or post-consumer waste into reusable materials
Firms in the environmental industry rely heavily on ICT systems for the tracking and management of distribution pipelines, ensuring outages in supply of water or disruptions to waste disposal services are detected early and quickly rectified.